Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Some Tunnel Action

So how do we take a piece of flat 18 gauge sheet steel, and make it into a tunnel for a new gas tank on a old Honda motorcycle?  A lot of beating, real hard beating!
Flat 18 Ga.
Beat it, strap it down.
Grabbed a plastic hammer from the shop
It started getting hard towards the neck.
The SS zip tie broke so I just got some cheap wire I had lying around and fastened her down

Over all I don't think this turned out bad.


So yeah only took an hour and half to do this.  I had the piece about 5"x24" but that was about 6" to long.  I had no way of cutting it till I found some cold chisels in my tool box.  I struck a line and it broke right in half and now it was 5"x18".  I wish I wouldn't of had to beat the crap out of my back bone, I muffed up that paint something fierce, also you never know what structural damage was caused.  I don't think it affected the integrity of the backbones steel because it was a soft hammer and not metal on metal but you never know.  So now sometime by the end of this week or next I'll cut the tank out, but I would like to ask should I cut out all separate panels and weld them up individually or try and keep as much as possible in flat development and bend it up?

Thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment